social integration

My 6 year old neighbor, a girl, dropped in to play. D. was wearing his wig and makeshift dress. He appeared very sheepish and quickly removed them. 

The girl got bored quickly and left. I asked D. if he preferred her to leave, or to stay. "I want her to stay." 

I thought he might have preferred that she leave so he could play freely. But no, he wants to be socially integrated with other children.

I suppose thats a good thing. I was never socially integrated and it hampers me to this very day. But he- since he's been in day care, teachers have praised his social skills. 

So make no mistake. I am happy that he is socially integrated, and satisfied with his choice to remain so (cant deny that it makes my life easier, too.)

But I can't help wondering; if society is killing an important part of himself; just how important that piece is- an essential aspect of his identity, or just one of many childhood explorations....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impressions of Raising My Rainbow

correct information about the mechanisms of reproduction

Look Mommy, a girl with a penis!