worried about bullying

Dilemmas:
Do I encourage him to flaunt social standards at school, or to abide by them?

This ridiculous article just came out, about a 9 year old being bullied for being "gay." the mother supposedly accepted his "sexual orientation."

You know I don't buy that at age 9. and I was right.

Well upon reading the article further; it seems that the kid wanted to wear nailpolish to school. (something I wasn't allowed to do as a 9 year old girl myself, btw).

My question is who convinced him that fingernails are a sexual orientation? Seems like both the school and the Mom.

Whatever the kid was bullied to death and I'm terrified of that happening to my son.

Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill? We went to the public pool the other day; and my kids were climbing on some childrens' play structures- slides and swings- on the side. My kids are great climbers.
A 7 year old boy suddenly said "Are you a boy or a girl?"
"I'm a boy" D. responded. I suspected from his demeanor he might have preferred to respond that he was a girl, but i'm not sure.
"But why are you wearing nailpolish?"
D. was ready with an answer. "Because my mother lets me!"
At that very moment my younger toddler started to run off in the direction of the swimming pool so I had to run after him and didn't hear what happened next. When I came back the older boy was no longer there and D was still nonchalantly at the top fo the structure.

But there is a random stranger at a pool, and then there is school where thhe kid goes every day.

My son is in an excellent school that really focuses on positive values like tolerance and inclusiveness. I was told that a graduate of that school was shocked at encountering homophobia when getting out into the real world. But does that really mean there will be no bullying a kid who is different?

My son is highly socially integrated. But he is relatively non-aggressive. He has encountered bullying before. He is part of a threesome which includes one somewhat domineering boy named Adam; who sometimes creates alliances with one of the triangle to gang up on the other. I've already had to support D. in standing up to Adam.










D. wanted to wear nailpolish to the first day of school and I discouraged him. Perhaps that was the wrong thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look Mommy, a girl with a penis!

"when i was a boy i loved dresses"

where oh where has my pretty boy gone